Dating back to the first European explorers to climb the Grand Teton, Jackson Hole has a long and distinguished reputation as an outdoor sports Mecca. Now, with its world class rafting, skiing, mountain biking and climbing, there’s little doubt that Jackson Hole is North America’s premier destination location for adrenaline junkies and casual adventurers alike.
After you’ve shot the Lunch Counter and the Big Kahuna rapids on a rafting trip with Barker-Ewing Whitewater, be sure to check out some of our other favorite summer activities in Jackson Hole:
1. Climbing — With Exum Mountain Guides, mountain climbers benefit from the oldest and most experienced guide service in the United States. Their expert staff has trained and guided people on trips up the Grand Teton for more than 80 years. Exum offers climbing adventures for people from ages 8 to 80 for everything from a fun day bouldering with the family to epic alpine adventures.
2. Horseback riding — Owned and operated by Dustin and Laura Child, Horse Creek Ranch offers horseback riding, trail riding, pack trips, backcountry fishing and big game wilderness hunting for a true western adventure. For a shorter trip, contact Teton Village Trail Rides.
3. Cycling — In the last 10 years, the Bridger-Teton National Forest has spearheaded a concerted trail-building effort on Teton Pass and the Greater Snow King area. Couple that with a pathway system that will soon reach from Teton Village, through Jackson, south to Hoback Junction and north to Jenny Lake in Grand Teton National Park, and Jackson Hole into one of the nation’s premier cycling destinations. Contact Teton Mountain Bike Tours for great cycling trips.
Hoback Sports also has bike rentals and maps.
4. Tram ride/Paragliding — Jackson Hole Mountain Resort operates its iconic aerial tram in the summertime too. Take a trip to the top of Rendezvous Mountain for a spectacular view of the Tetons. The more adventurous can sign up for a paraglide ride down 4,000 vertical feet to the valley floor.
5. Fly Fishing — If your rafting trip with Barker-Ewing Whitewater leaves you thirsting for more, consider a combination rafting-fly fishing package with Jackson Hole Fly Fishing School. Other fly fishing pros include the guides at Mangis Fishing Guide Service for trips on the Snake, Salt, Green or New Fork rivers. Beginners are welcome and trout are guaranteed!